Get your Assignment in a Minimum of 3 hours
Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.Free Inquiry Order A Paper Now Cost Estimate
I need an explanation for this Biology question to help me study.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Written Assignment 1: Trace the Scientific Method in a Primary Scientific Article
Addresses course outcomes 1 and 4:
- recognize and explain how the scientific method is used to solve problems
- weigh evidence and make decisions based on strengths and limitations of scientific knowledge and the scientific method
Before starting this assignment you might want to revisit the Scientific Method Tutorial in the Science Learning Center under the Content area.
Please review one of the provided Science Daily articles and the corresponding peer-reviewed scholarly written article below.
- Identify and describe the steps of the scientific method. Which observations do you think the scientists made leading up to this research study? Given your understanding of the experimental design, formulate a specific hypothesis that is being tested in this experiment. If a hypothesis is stated, please rewrite it IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Describe the experimental design including control and treatment group(s), and dependent and independent variables. Summarize the results and the conclusion
- Criticize the research described. Things to consider: Were the test subjects and treatments relevant and appropriate? Was the sample size large enough? Were the methods used appropriate? Can you think of a potential bias in a research study like this? What are the limitations of the conclusions made in this research study? Address at least two of these questions in your critique of the research study
- Discuss the relevance of this type of research, both for the world in general and for you personally. Proper grammar.
- Write a paper with title page, introduction, paragraphs addressing the questions, conclusion and references. You must write in your own words and paraphrase information from the selected information sources, addressing each of the questions for your chosen topic. Your paper should consist of less than 10% direct quotes.
- Your paper should be 500 – 750 words, excluding references and title page. Use APA style for references.
Article options (choose one):
Gut bacteria from wild mice boost health in lab mice. Researchers recently reported that laboratory mice that are given the gut bacteria of wild mice are better able to survive an infection of the flu virus as well as fighting colorectal cancer.
Journal Reference: Rosshart S. P.,Vassallo, B. G.,Angeletti, D., Hutchinson, D. S.,Morgan, A. P.,Takeda, K.,Hickman H. D.,McCulloch, J. A.,Badger, J. H., Ajami, N. J.,Trinchieri, G.,Pardo-Manuel de Vilena F.,Yewdell, J. W.,Reherman, B.et al. Wild Mouse Gut Microbiota Promotes Host Fitness and Improves Disease Resistance. Cell, 2017 Nov 16;171(5):1015-1028.e13.2017 DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.09.016
Multivitamins in pregnancy may be linked to lower autism risk in children. An international research team set out to assess whether nutrient supplementation during pregnancy is associated with reduced risk of autism spectrum disorder, with and without intellectual disability.
Journal Reference: DeVilbiss, E. A., Magnusson, C., Gardner, R. A.,Rai, D., Newschaffer, C.J. Lyall, K., Dalman, C. Lee, B.K., Antenatal nutritional supplementation and autism spectrum disorders in the Stockholm youth cohort: population based cohort study. BMJ, 2017 Oct 4;359:j4273. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.j4273
Higher dose of vitamin D increases bone density in premature babies. Recent investigations suggest that if the standard supplementation of 400 IUs of vitamin D is increased to 800 IUs daily there are reductions in the number of premature and preterm babies with extremely low bone density.
Reference retrieved from:
High blood pressure lowers significantly after drinking tart montmorency cherry juice. Drinking tart Montmorency cherry juice significantly reduces human blood pressure at a level comparable to that achieved by medication.
Journal Reference: L. A. Te Morenga, A. J. Howatson, R. M. Jones, J. Mann. Dietary sugars and cardiometabolic risk: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials of the effects on blood pressure and lipids. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2014; 100 (1): 65 DOI: 10.3945/ajcn.113.081521