Get your Assignment in a Minimum of 3 hours
Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.Free Inquiry Order A Paper Now Cost Estimate
I’m studying for my Health & Medical class and don’t understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Discussion: Performance Standards and Appraisals
Performance appraisals should be timely, thoughtful, consistent, thorough, and free from bias. How can performance appraisal systems be structured to facilitate this type of environment? Effective performance standards and appraisals can promote an open and continuous relationship among the nurse manager, HR professionals, and employees. How might you, as a nurse manager, use performance appraisals and other performance management strategies, such as positive discipline, in your leadership approach?
In this Discussion, you reflect on questions that commonly arise when assessing performance appraisal processes.
- Performance Standards:
- Who creates performance standards, and how are they communicated to employees?
- Are performance standards consistent with quality standards commonly used in the nursing profession?
- Do performance standards align with legal and ethical nursing practice?
- Performance Appraisals:
- How is employee performance (i.e., behaviors, attitudes, abilities, and skills) documented?
- What measures, if any, protect employees from subjectivity?
- Are employees asked to engage in any form of self-evaluation?
- Do colleagues participate in peer evaluations such as 360-degree appraisals?
- Does the performance appraisal process encourage employee development?
- Aside from the written performance measures, what aspects contribute to success or failure in achieving performance improvement?
- Review this week’s media, “Performance Management,” and consider the best practices highlighted by this week’s presenters.
- Reflect on the performance standards and appraisal systems used in your current organization or one with which you are familiar. With the above questions in mind, identify this organization’s strengths and areas for improvement.
- Drawing from ideas presented in this week’s Learning Resources, think of specific ways you might improve your organization’s use of performance standards and/or the performance appraisal process.
- Review the article, “Positive Discipline Reaps Retention.” As a nurse manager, how might you incorporate positive discipline into your performance management approach? What effect–good, bad, or indifferent–do you think it would have on your nursing staff?
By Day 3
Post a description of the performance appraisal system used in your workplace, including how performance standards are created and communicated to employees. Describe the effectiveness of the performance appraisal system by sharing at least two strengths and two areas for improvement. Conclude your posting by explaining how you might incorporate positive discipline into your performance management approach and what impact you think it will have.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
APA FORMAT, 2 REFERENCES, 2-3 PARAGRAPHS. THANK YOU.